Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Great Day

It is a beautiful white world over here and finally a bit milder weather. I must admit I am not a BIG fan of -20 degree weather. I even put on my snow pants to take the dog out at night before bedtime! That would make me a bit of a weenie. But...to each her own!

We got about 15cm of nice fluffy snow last night so after the boys went off to the bus I shoveled the driveway and headed off to church. I love the subcontractor who shovels the church out because he always seems to be just finishing when I get there. This is good because then I can get into the parking lot with my car, instead of getting stuck in that pile the snowplow dumps when they clear the street.

I love living on THIS side of the street. When the snow plow comes by, it always does the right hand side of the street first. The blade takes 3/4's of the street's width and deposits the snow on the right side of the street. By the time the plow comes back.....there's only 1/4 left and that trickles onto the end of our driveway. See??? I LOVE living on THIS side of the street. Now mind you...when you get a foot of snow....you still get quite a dump on the end of the driveway....but at least you can see over it. :):):)

So I shoveled at church and had finished the north side where the sun never shines. There was a thick layer of ice on that sidewalk that is just nicely breaking up. I think I will go and sprinkle a bit of salt there this afternoon and take advantage of this mild weather to get down to the cement.

This is my life....but the best parts of the job this morning were the sun shine....and Ray's Uncle Henry. He came by with his tractor lawnmower/snowblower.....He blew out a whole section at the side of the church that would've taken me hours! He also finished clearing off the front step with his little wonder machine!!! It was soooo great. I gave him a big hug as he was leaving. What a treat to NOT have to shovel that!

I started out in my snow pants, fleecy and spring coat, headband and big fleecy scarf, but by the time I was finished I was down to the jeans and spring coat. Soaked down to my hempie en broekie. NO...I wasn't shoveling in my undies. The weather wasn't THAT great.

I have been very busy playing scrabble online in case you were wondering where I've been. That and playing Minesweeper. DON'T even start! It is actually nice to have a week that's not too busy. I made cards on Monday with the ladies and yesterday was Little Lambs. This morning after shoveling was my once a year appointment with the doctor, and we all know you can't show up straight from shoveling. And since Uncle Henry saved me all that time shoveling I can go and get my hair done this afternoon. I called the spa to see if they had an opening and they asked if I could come at 2:30. SURE! So I'm off to finish the shoveling and then off to the spa....at least THAT makes my life sound a little glamorous.....

4 comments:

Karen Nieuwhof said...

So, do you have lots of muscles from all this shoveling you do? Remind me not to challenge you in an arm wrestle when you're here. :) What a workout for you. Bless Uncle Henry though. :)
Have fun at the spa... you do deserve pampering. Are you getting all gussyed up for Ray for Valentine's Day? hee, hee. Enjoy your day tomorrow.
Love to you and your boys.
See you SOON. Karen

Mary and Isaac said...

The Spa sounds great. I hope you had a relaxing time there. I'm glad that you had Uncle Henry around for all that snow shoveling!
Oh yeah, and I did get the coat - literally days after we spoke. Thank you! There may also be a little something in the mail for you as well. ;) (It took forever to get to the post office during their business hours... so it'll be a few days still, I think)
We'll have to be sure to start a new scrabble game once this one is done... it beomes kinda addicting :). Anyway, I shall go. I have grand plans to make a Valentine for Isaac and some chocolate truffles. Love you!
~ Mary

Tineke Aaron and Cassie said...

hey sis
sounds like that uncle henry did save you a pile of work, hope he comes more often for you!
the spa sounds really fantastic too, what a treat.
Happy Valentines day to you guys too. Love you and can't wait to see you.
Love Tineke and the gang

The Nieuwhofs said...

It sounds like you will be well seasoned for your stay on PEI, since it seems to snow here every week. Hope you fun at the spa, you deserved it.
See yah soon, love Randall