Sunday, October 21, 2007

A New Canoe

We now own two red canoes. A Nova Craft and a Holy Cow. Interesting position to be in.... Ray is out running right now revelling in the feeling .( He runs every other day...so this is nothing new.) He is so totally excited!!! It has been a very exciting day for him. He also signed up to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up North, further than Thunder Bay to go on a wilderness trip that he heard someone speak about last spring. It is a working trip in Wabakimi to restore long lost canoe routes and portages. Literally the middle of nowhere... You fly in on a bush plane and you fly out again at the end of your week. There aren't any roads. This will occur next year sometime. The organizer is booking 17 weeks back to back. We are also discussing the possibility of a trip to go on as a family this summer. So it may be fall and winter is looming but paddling is still very much on the brain.

We'll see, a lot can happen between now and then....but...we still have two canoes.

I cooked supper for the youth group tonight. No one had signed up and the leaders were discussing their refrigerator inventories amongst themselves...so i said I could do hotdogs and KD. The kids thought it was GREAT!!! There really is no need to show up with a culinary wonder....last year I made chili and KD and a good time was had by all.

I worked on my demo card today. I'm trying to rustle up some attendees for the scrap and stamp night. I sense that some people are intimidated....some people are trying to resist getting sucked in, but I am relentless. You CAN do it.... I'm keeping my design very simple. A chipboard heart and two squares of coordinating paper. Green of course. And the title is "you make me SMILE!" I should take a picture of it and post it. But first....

...it is time to make lunches so I get to bed on time and I will be ready to rumble for my Stampin group tomorrow!! I am ready for that little piece of sabbath rest. It is not always relaxing here on sundays as I have to get up early to go to the church. I love my routine there though. And at night I open and close again too. This afternoon I went for a walk with my friend....I could feel that I hadn't walked in a while. Didn't seem to bother me while I was shopping though! Hmm... It was 25 degrees here this afternoon and in retrospect I probably should've put on some sunscreen before we left. Yeah...I know....it's the end of October. We should be bundled up and out of the harmful rays of the sun.... It's neat though...maybe we'll all get less of the blahs later on this season because we got way more vitamin D because the weather was so nice, so late into the year!!

I am surrounded by topographical maps of canoe trips we've been on. I can see where the conversation is going for the rest of the evening. But tomorrow morning it will be about paper of a different sort. It's so fun to see him so stoked! I suppose it's like working on your hotrod or building a shelf with your furry green pencil beside you. All consuming at times but relaxing and blissfull all the same..... ooooooh just like making cards!!! Maybe I have a one track mind too. But you still love me!!

Love you too!

3 comments:

Karen Nieuwhof said...

Another one? :) Did this just happen or were you considering buying another canoe? When Marten wanted to buy a canoe, that's all he could think of. Even hotdogs looked like canoes to him. He does have a one track mind.
Well, I hope you enjoy it. I can picture him all excited about the Wabakimi trip. Sounds amazing.
"You make me SMILE..." -- please take a picture and post your card. I'd love to see it.
Ahh.. the bus just rolled in. Kids are home so I must go. Enjoy your evening. Karen

Matt n Amanda said...

Oh, I do wish I could come make cards with you! I so love your style! The card sounds really cute. I am going to a card making thing at my church. It is more of a pasting thing too, but they are making them to sell at the bazaar. I thought it might be a fun thing to go to.
I will have to admit that Uncle Ray's trips, while fun and adventerous sounding make me love my nice warm house and not hiking with a canoe. But it is nice that he has something to look forward to and think and dream about!
Im out for tonight but I hope that you have a super day.
Much Love
Amanda

The Nieuwhofs said...

Must be a guy thing, I mean getting excited about going to the middle of nowhere. It sounds really exciting to me. And having the maps out, hey that reminds me of snowmobiling in N.B. last year, and hopefully this coming season as well.
The weather was just beautiful here today. Warm and sunny, so we decided to do some more digging today. Hopefully we can finish tomorrow before it starts raining.
Take care, love, Randall