I'm looking forward to writing some stories. My head and my heart are full.
I have paddling on my mind. My beloved, our youngest, and I, recently returned from a trip to Wisconsin to attend Canoecopia, the largest paddle expo in the world. We are now even more eager to get out on the water and out into the bush.
But....we have wait. For trivial things like "ice-out". While we wait, we talk about trips we'd like to make, destinations, time of the season, possible day trips, week long trips, dream about someday trips...at least we can go on hikes. Going to a paddle show makes spring go a little slower :)
I thought about how I should go about trying to explain the phenomenon of Canoecopia, to my friends who don't "get it". What brings 20,000 people together in one exhibition hall? What packs 10 stages with hour long speaking sessions for two and a half days? I realized that it really just boils down to sharing a common passion.
Any gathering over a common interest will be enjoyed by those who share that interest. Quilters do this. Scrapbookers do this. Motorcycle and car enthusiasts do this.
We met up with old friends and made new ones. It was GREAT to talk shop with fellow paddlers. Out of the corner of my ear I heard one participant say that she would be taking part in the Wabakimi Project this summer. This same nice lady was sitting by herself somewhere later and I introduced myself as a past project volunteer....and we had a lovely chat!! We exchanged email addresses, and this week I sent along a link to my posts and photos of our adventure.
In going over the links, I found my Lasting Glances post. And I realized there are paddling stories that must be told. You know...cause I'm waiting anyway. Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment