Thursday, September 23, 2010

Here's The Thing....

Please....don't be too impressed by the fact that I run.    If I defined what my "running" actually is....and why I run????  You'd move right along.

I turned 40 once.   If it can happen to me, it can happen to you. Maybe it already happened to you. My Mom told me a long time ago that my metabolism would slow down when I turned 40.   Truer words were never spoken.    I was faced with a dilemma.  Stop eating chips OR start an exercise program.

The people who live here don't really go to the gym, unless they have a free membership. At our house, the exercise program is called "Ray's gym": You put on your runners and get out there.   BUT I can't run...(perhaps you correctly detect a bit of a whine in there....)  

And then I discovered "Couch to 5K in 8weeks".    The Couch was my starting point...that's where I eat chips.    5K didn't sound like a marathon.   And 8 weeks sounded like something I could stick to...it's not going take forever.   It didn't TAKE forever, but neither did it LAST forever.     I had to take some time off because I had a pinched nerve in my shoulder.    I stayed off.    And kept eating chips.

I was faced with the same dilemma: Stop eating chips or start running again.    A friend of mine announced that he was running 4K per day.   I was so impressed!!!!  And I was moved to start running again.    That was two weeks ago.    Today, I'm running 3's and 1's.   Run 3 minutes, and walk 1 minute....for 20 minutes...and in my case 3K.     In the grand scheme of things...that's REALLY slow. 

The important thing is....I can eat chips again!

2 comments:

The Nieuwhofs said...

Sorry about my lapse of comments, been busy. But then you saw that on Facebook, from Klaas' mobile office.
That battle of the bulge is real enough, lol. It is tough to stop eating chips, I share your concern.
Oh, my Nachos just arrived, Cheers!

sugarnuggets said...

We've started Nacho night too! You made me LOL!!!