Saturdays are chore day at our house. We all band together and "git 'er done" before we scatter and do our own things. This week,with the boys all out of the house on various pre-breakfast outings, I snuck downstairs with my morning coffee and made cards. I'm a big fan of using my energy to get all the work done and THEN enjoying the reward of accomplishment and relaxation. So many ideas...so little time.
I saw a short video on education and divergent thinking this week. Part of it gave a scathing critique on how the education system teaches imagination right out of our kids by forcing them all along the same learning path at the same rate.... It's good to step off the path and provide different learning activities that offer different ways of learning to engage more students more of the time. Over the years I've learned how tactile I am and how much love working with things and moving them with my hands. I love the feel of fabric!! I love tattering and fraying edges. I love how words pour out of my heart through the pen in my hand and seeing the words appear on the page of a great notebook. It's a totally different feeling than watching the letters appear one by one on a screen amid the clatter of keyboard keys...but I love that too. (I think I love everything!!) I love creating in response to a nudge, knowing that there is Someone much more creative than I behind it all. I LOVE being an conduit...
Starting my Saturday in a different way changed the whole outlook of the day. Using that fresh energy in a creative process instead of things of no consequence. (Well....one might argue that an empty socks and underwear drawer does have consequences that affect the greater good of society....). I thought it would be appropriate to test this theory on a weekday as well making a card on a morning before brekkie!! :)
I know that all around me there are people in need, who are not in a season of gladness, who hurt over brokenness, and can't engage in this luxury. At the same time there are people out there with blessings to celebrate; New jobs, new marriages, new paths, and new babies!! It has been good for life to slow down and be able to respond when someone needs a card; to be a conduit of Grace rather than a cog in the wheel.
2 comments:
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOOOOOOOOOOVE your butterfly punch! It looks epic! You are such a talented card maker, great works, TT! Thank you for such an inspiring piece. Love YA!
~Maris~
These are gorgeous! They make you want to touch them :)
Post a Comment