Conversations like that make me really thankful for the Godly friends I have in my life, especially the Godly women.
So what does this road look like??
It reminded me of the wilderness trip Ray and I went on this summer, where we cleared very old portage trails. The trail always had a starting point, "the landing", and a destination, where we finally put the canoes back into the water. You need a plan and a map, you need to be prepared, you need equipment, and you need a guide. Wilderness camping implies that you find yourself in a wild place, that most likely someone has gone before you, and someday someone will come behind you and retrace your steps.
Sometimes things fall onto our paths that we have to step around, obstacles that we have to deal with in order to continue on our way. Sometimes there is no way around them, and like on our trip this summer, you have to break out the heavy equipment to go through them. In life, things crop up that impede our progress. Stressful situations, like a blow-down on the trail, can take our focus off the path, disrupt our momentum, or result in losing our bearings. It helps so much in times like that to look over your shoulder, spot the last flag, and remind yourself where you've been and where you're going. And to reinforce your trust in your Guide.
I think of my parents who followed God's leading to start a new life in Canada over 30 years ago. What a leap of faith that must have been! A journey marked by many affirmations that the decision they made was the right one. I love their story. Serving on the school board is the current trip I'm on. There are times when I it's really easy, and I can easily say that I am where I should be. Other days it can be a struggle, committee work and meetings can be discouraging. Conflicts can sap my confidence, and have me doubt my ability and role on this trip, or whether I'm even qualified to be here. Deadlines can create anxiety. But then there are days like the other day...where I spent the day celebrating the support that the high school receives from previous generations. You get so much energy seeing people who have walked the same path and who are now encouraging and cheering on the rest of us. So encouraging, and truly worthy of a flag!!!
On this journey, there are beautiful views, times of easy travel and companions with whom we share this journey. For me, it continues to be a great adventure. The wilderness isn't such a bad place to be because of the beauty I witness, the growth I experience, and the Guide who leads me. The blazes are always there, and in the stories of the people I love...I just have to look for them...symbols of God's faithfulness to them, and to me.
It's a trek, an epic journey, and never just a stroll. You can stroll aimlessly on your own strength and reconnaissance. A trek implies that you need patience, perseverance, courage, strength, a map, the right equipment, the Right Guide....and a piece of wilderness.
3 comments:
Hi Tetcy,
What a journey you've been on! What a treasure it is to have friends to share that journey with you, to be an encouragement, sometimes a guide, sometimes just another traveller in the same spot as you...
Thank you for sharing what you've learned - you have no idea how much of an impact it may have on others travelling that same journey!
That is a very good way to compare Tetcy. As parents, there is only so much we can do. The rest needs Gods faithful Hand. I believe you have a lot of fond memories from last summer's trip. And I'm sure you have many fond memories of life's journey as well.
Enjoy your path, help is always close.
Seriously, I'm still waiting for that devotional book you're going to write. :P
We're all on different paths, roads,... I'm so greatful that we all have the perfect Guide. And if we're very lucky... godly friends to keep us company.
Keep on trekking Tetcy.
Post a Comment