It so happens that I finished my book club book yesterday and while I read, I write down quotes. You know...sometimes somebody says something and you think...that's exactly what I mean!!! (We are meeting later this month to discuss "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. )I am not a philosophical anthropologist by any stretch of the imagination, but I am fascinated by what makes people tick, and what's behind some of the things that we do and the way that we act. I'm sure that's why other people write....
This quote is near the end of the book.
"...And when I first showed him my scar, he said it was interesting. He used the word "textured". He said "smooth" was boring but "textured" was interesting, and the scar meant that I was stronger than whatever it was that tried to hurt me." p.286
Scars aren't always on the outside. Often they are on the inside. I just encountered a situation where someone looked at a scar on their heart and to them it captured the hurt that they were STILL feeling, after 2 years. Why do some people overcome their pain and others are held back by it? Why do some people move on and grow, and others don't? Do people look at their scars and see it as proof of being hurt or proof of being healed?
It's not something one sits around and dwells on...but it comes up once in a while.
I've always looked at pain and struggles as moments of great growth in my life. We all have times like that. There are scars that people know about and scars you don't show anyone. I acknowledge that they exist. Once in a while I wonder if people would understand me better if they knew about some of those scars. But no one knows about them, and I am thankful to be a product of Grace. It is enough that God knows. Scars are also a sign that you have experienced healing; A badge that shows that you are stronger than the thing that tried to hurt you. I have a scar on my foot from a burn, but I am no longer a burn victim. I love how many people were involved with the healing process...but what about the hurts that no one knows about? When no one knows, no one can help, no one can pray for you.... When one other person knows, two people can carry it. Imagine the weight distribution when a whole community knows! Awareness frees, and acceptance encourages and builds up. Awareness also creates sensitivity and possibly pain prevention.
I don't let my "scars" hold me back but once in a while I feel a phantom pain. Then I cling to God's promises to me, and He never fails. When you ask for healing, you have to trust that you will receive it. Rarely instantaneous, healing usually takes the scenic route, and when you take time to savour the scenery on the way out of the valley... bask in the Presence...it becomes a beautiful part of your healing journey, but you'll only see it if you cast that look over your shoulder to see what you've come through. This becomes the balm for the soul, and that's something to share with others and hope that someday, they too will feel okay about their scars.
PS I was just driving home from Nancy's and this song was playing...so you get a LOTD afterall:
"..., no scheme of man, can ever pluck me from His Hand..." (Keith Getty and Stuart Townend), 2001 Thankyou Music. So even when you experience pain, it can never wrench you out of God's grip. He will hold you in the palm of His hand.
2 comments:
Wow! I need more time to chew on some of your thoughts - some cause an instant response, and then I realize that the next thought either clarifies or requires more deep thought...
My LOTD - definitely "I Then Shall Live" - it's written by Gloria Gaither, and the music is by Jean Sibelius - the "live" version of it, sung by the Gaither Vocal Band and Ernie Haase and Signature Sound gives me goosebumps! (we sang it in church a few weeks ago... we didn't sound quite as good)
Thanks for the words of wisdom for today. You are such an inspiration to me and I love reading your blog. Keep up the good work and yes, everyone has scars they do not share. We would not be human if we didn't. God gives us grace each day to share or not to share with others. Each day is new and fresh. How amazing is that eh?
Have a good day Tetcy
Thanks
Post a Comment